¿Cabbage is a round leafy vegetable that is commonly used by people around the world. There are several varieties: green, purple and red. This post focuses on red cabbage benefits as it is the most nutritious variety. It contains more nutrients and health benefits than the green and purple ones.
Red cabbage is rich with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and all the other essential nutrients and protects our body from free radical damage. In this article, you will discover 15 benefits of red cabbage, ranging from weight loss to cancer prevention.
In addition, at the end, I will share with you a special red cabbage recipe that you can try at home in order to make it easier for you to include this powerhouse vegetable in your diet.
Here are 20 red cabbage benefits that you can get at less than $10 a month:
- Boosts Immunity – red cabbage contains high level of antioxidants like anthocyanin and vitamin c that are well known as immune system booster. Comparing to green cabbage, red cabbage has 10x more vitamins, anti-cancer flavonoids, and a many other compounds which strengthen the immune system but also improve teeth, eye, and bone health.
- Helps to lose weight – red cabbage has low calories and no fat as compared to many other vegetables. So, it will not make you gain weight. In addition, the fiber content of red cabbage binds to fat and prevents its absorption inside the body. If you are on a weight loss journey, you can add red cabbage to daily food. It will help you lose weight – plus it has healthy effects on your body, not to mention it is cheap to buy.
- Fights inflammation – red cabbage contains phytonutrients that may help reduce chronic inflammation. Eating a diet filled with anthocyanin-rich fruits and vegetables like red cabbage is a good way to fight inflammation. This delicious vegetable also contains amino acids that fight inflammation, help in food digestion, and make proteins in order to break down food.
- Boosts metabolism – Metabolism is our body’s process of producing energy. Among other nutrients, Vitamin B complex needed for energy production so we can have enough energy to do our activities. Red cabbage is also rich in vitamin b complex that is needed to keep normal metabolism.
- Treats ulcers – anti-inflammatory contents of red cabbage help treat ulcer and can fasten its healing process. Cabbages have anti-ulcer properties that are able to prevent or reduce the risk of developing stomach ulcers because of its high content of glutamine that helps in building proteins in our immune system.
- Prevents Cancer – red cabbage contains anthocyanins and indole 3- carbinol (I3C) which have amazing cancer fighting capabilities. These anti-oxidants act against the disease-causing free radicals which are actually the harmful by-products of cellular metabolism. Sulforaphane is another compound found in cabbage that has anti-cancer effects. There are other properties in red cabbage that studies show that are capable to prevent cancer: include diindolylmethane (DIM), sinigrin, and lupeol. All you need to do is to just add some cabbage to your everyday meal or drink a cup of fresh homemade juice to prevent yourself from cancer.
- Slows Anti-aging – Red cabbages contain many anti-aging properties that naturally help you look younger with regular uses. To better obtain the benefits, drinking fresh juice is recommended because its health benefits to your skin show faster than when consuming the cooked cabbage. In addition, cabbages delay premature death of your skin cells and protect it from ultraviolet rays.
- Maintains Radiant Skin – some people use red cabbage as face mask to maintain their skin beauty. The pigments which red cabbage contains can be useful to maintain a beautiful skin. It helps to remove dark spots, reduces wrinkles and age spots and helps to keep your skin fresh and tight. It also promotes new skin cell formation due to the abundance of Vitamin A. Consuming cabbage regularly will make your skin looks younger, radiant, and clear. If you have acne, skin rashes or irritations, this vegetable can do wonders for you if you drink the juice regularly.
- Heals Certain Skin Diseases – All leafy and cruciferous vegetables, including cabbages, have skin healing properties. They are used in alternative treatment of different skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, acne, ulcers, insect bites, and arthritis. All you need to do to enjoy these benefits is to add some cabbage to your everyday diet or drink the juice daily.
- Prevents Alzheimer’s disease – red cabbage contains vitamin K and minerals such as magnesium and manganese that contributes to brain cell protection and maintain healthy never function. It protects the cognitive ability of people and hence helps to prevent or at least delay the onset of chronic diseases like Alzheimer’s disease. In addition, Vitamin K helps prevent blood clots and blood thinning.
- Strengthens Teeth and Bones – red cabbage also contains some amounts of calcium that is important in maintaining your bones strength. It also helps keeping bones and teeth strong due to its rich vitamin K content. Apart from calcium, Vitamin K is the main compound for bone strength. Cabbages also help prevent osteoporosis.
- Promotes Healthy Heart – eating red cabbage is a simple yet effective way to maintain a healthy cardiovascular system. Cabbages contain potassium which plays an important role in keeping our heart healthy and free from any ailments. The mineral also regulates our heartbeat and can reduce the levels of bad fat which may cause heart disease. Minerals potassium and calcium have the capacity of regulating blood sugar levels. Also, cabbage contains a low sodium content which is good for maintaining a healthy heart rate.
- Protects Your Eyes – according to some studies, regular consumption of red cabbage gives us a better vision compared to those who consume less or no vegetables and fruits in their diet. Due to its high athocyanins and vitamins content, one of the red cabbage health benefits is protecting our eyes from any damage and improves vision deterioration.
- Fights against arthritis – arthritis is an autoimmune disease that is common among older people. Eating red cabbage will help fight arthritis because it has high anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce inflammation in the joints and reduce the pain. Red cabbages can help to naturally treat arthritis and reduce or reverse the complications associated with it.
- Enhances Gut Health – red cabbage may lower inflammation in the gut and reduce intestinal mucositis — a condition in which lesions develop in the gut, often as a side effect of cancer treatment. Easting it will also prevent other symptoms of gut disorder such as Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and ulcerative colitis.
- Cleanses the Blood – decent levels of Sulfur present in red cabbage helps our body detoxify. Sulfur has the capacity to clean and purify our blood from harmful materials. It helps the liver to filter toxins from the blood, thus make it work better. Sulfur has antibacterial effects against the bacteria that cause acne. It may, therefore, help treat acne and seborrheic dermatitis, a disease characterized by itchy rash with flaky scales.
- Promote Healthy Digestion and Prevent Constipation – red cabbages contain fiber that promotes healthy digestion. Cabbage is beneficial for the digestive tract in general due to the fact is probiotics friendly. By improving the balance of good bacteria in your gut, it not only helps the digestive tract but also the immune system, thus the entire body. So, if you are experiencing constipation all you need to do is to drink a glass of fresh cabbage juice.
- Good During Pregnancy – Cabbages are rich in folic acid. It helps the fetus have good health and also aid in the production of mother’s milk. If you are pregnant or trying to become pregnant you should get at least 400 micrograms (0.4 milligrams) of folic acid every day, before conception and at least 3 months afterward. Plant-based folic acid greatly reduces a baby’s risk of developing serious neural tube defects.
- Reduces the Risks of Cataracts – The high beta-carotene content in cabbage may help prevent macular degeneration of the eye and reduces your chances of having cataracts. Your risk considerably increases to develop cataract as you get older. The juice found in cabbage has cleansing properties to cleanse your organs and make your skin seem radiant and clear and prevent certain eyes problems.
- Improve Hair Quality – Regular consumption of cabbage is beneficial for hair growth, softness and shininess the fact it is rich in nutrients such as Vitamin A, sulfur, calcium, magnesium and iron. Consuming cabbages regularly will nourish your hair and give it a silky and shining look. You can drink cabbage juice daily if you are looking for faster results.
Healthy Coleslaw Recipe
Consuming raw red cabbage has plenty of benefits for your gastrointestinal and health in general, but some people find it difficult to eat it. Here is a simple red cabbages recipe that you can try at home.
3 tablespoons paleo mayonnaise
3 tablespoons goat or coconut kefir
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
2 cups shredded red cabbage
2 cups shredded green cabbage
1 cup grated carrots
sea salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
- Combine mayonnaise, kefir, mustard and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in cabbage and carrots.
- Stir in mayonnaise mixture until well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Thank you for reading to the end. If you have question, or suggestion on red cabbage health benefits, please share it with our readers by commenting below.