7 Must-have Qualities to Seek In Online Colleges
Online colleges offer different degree programs, and online education is rapidly gaining popularity. This is really good considering these schools allow people to pursue their studies without time or geographic constraints.
But not all online colleges are equal in term of the quality of their education. Some offer great academic experiences, while others are nothing but “profit machines”, offering low quality academic performance.
5 Qualities to Search in Online Colleges and Universities
It is possible to find online schools that are legitimate educational institutions which offer high quality programs to allow students to succeed. Below are 7 qualities you need to search before enrolling in any college or university.
1. High Passing Rates – Regardless of the method used the results should be for the success of the students. Online colleges as well as universities are no exception. Choose a college that has high rates of success in patent. If most students fail in their state exams you have no reason to “take chance” with your education. This is an investment for life, you cannot gamble.
2. Specializing In Your Major – Some online schools provide better results in certain programs than others. Look for online colleges or universities that offer your desired major. For instance, if you are interested in medical field, Harvard is an ideal choice; it has the highest graduation rates in the world. If, however, you are interested in law, you may consider Yale.
Verify that the online colleges you are considering have good regional accreditation. You can visit The Council for Higher Education Accreditation (www.chea.org) or the website of the US Department of Education (www.ed.gov) for the list of accreditation organizations and approved schools.
3. Discovering the logistics of each program – Some online colleges have their course entirely online, while others require offline classes. This can be difficult for you to attend a distant college that requires offline participation. Therefore, compare many online schools and choose the one that is closest to you in case the major requires offline learning.
4. Payment and withdrawal – Do some research on the policies of the registration and enrollment of the school you are planning to enroll in. In case you need to withdraw from a course or program of study, you should be able to recover some of your money. Some online colleges may not want to refund you. Therefore, it is important to call or email the schools you have an eye on and inquiry about their refund policy.
5. Searching for Technical Requirements – It is important to know the technical requirements of the college before enrollment. Online schools often need Internet access and special software to chat, streaming video and audio. Is your computer is equipped to performed this tasks? Some online colleges offer free computer to their student; you may inquiry about this program.
6. Learning about The Professors – A professor has a big impact on your learning. The more friendly and pedagogic he the easier it is for students to learn. Who likes to interact with a rude person? None! It is the same for online learning.
You also need to know if the professors are easy to reach, either by email or phone. In addition, depending on your racial background, you may also do some research on the racial issue that may exist in the school. And one of the best means to do so is by asking current, graduate or former students.
7. The Reputation of the School – seek to know the reputation of your potential school. You can do so by doing some research on the reputation of many online colleges or universities. If necessary, you can ask your current employer or potential employers of the competence of the former student of the schools. Friends or colleagues who recently completed a program are also good resources.
It is good to go to a good school, but remember the success of your education depends greatly on yourself. Some people who graduated from poor quality schools manage to become successful in life while others who went to Harvard become homeless. Research among the best online colleges or universities in the country and chose the one most appropriate to your major, and then settle for success.